Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Faithful
Family name origins & meanings
- German : metonymic occupational name for a sawyer, from Middle High German dill(e) ‘(floor)board’.
- English : metonymic occupational name for a grower or seller of dill, an aromatic culinary and medicinal herb, Old English dile, dyle.
- English : nickname from Middle English dell, dill, dull ‘dull’, ‘foolish’.
- English : from an Old English personal name Dylli or Dylla.
- Possibly a reduced form of Scottish McDill.