Meaning and Origin of: Dax
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- French : A town in southwestern France that dates to before Roman occupation
- English : Water
- Science fiction : Character from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : patronymic from Dack.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of German Dachs, from Middle High German dahs ‘badger’; hence a nickname for someone who hunted badgers or was thought to resemble the animal.
- French : habitational name, either from Dax in Landes or (with fused preposition d(e)) from Ax-les-Thermes in Ariège.