Family name origins & meanings
- Chinese : variant of Zhao.
- Chinese : variant of Chow 1.
- Chinese : variant of Cao.
- Chinese : the Chinese character for this name means ‘nest’. Its use as a surname has its origin in Chao Lake in modern Anwei province. The lake gave its name to the state of Chao, which dates back to the Yin dynasty (1401–1122 bc). The name of the state of Chao was in turn adopted by descendants of its ruling class.
- Portuguese (Chão) and Galician : from a common field name derived from Latin planus ‘level’, ‘even’, ‘flat’.