Meaning and Origin of: Caron
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Welsh : Loving, kind
- French : Pure; Variation of Karen
- Greek : Pure
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- French : from a personal name of Gaulish origin, represented in Latin records in the form Caraunus. This name was borne by a 5th-century Breton saint who lived at Chartres and was murdered by robbers; his legend led to its widespread use as a personal name during the Middle Ages.
- English (of Norman origin) and French : habitational name for someone from Cairon in Calvados, France.
- English and French : metonymic occupational name for a carter, or possibly a cartwright, from a Norman and Picard form of Old French c(h)arron ‘cart’.
- There was a Caron or LeCaron, a missionary priest, in Quebec in 1615. The marriage of a Caron, of unknown origin, is recorded in Quebec in 1637.