Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Strong one
- Old German : Freeholder; Feminine form of Carl
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish (now also common in Scotland) : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cairealláin, an Ulster family name, also sometimes Anglicized as Carlton, meaning ‘descendant of Caireallán’, a diminutive of the personal name Caireall.
- French : from a pet form of Charles.
- Swedish : probably a habitational name from any of various places named with Karl- or from the personal name + -in, a common suffix of Swedish family names (originally Latin -inus ‘descendant of’).
- Italian (Venice) : from a pet form of the personal name Carlo, Italian form of Charles.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : Americanized spelling of Karlin.
- German : habitational name from Carlin in Brandenburg.