Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Strong one
- Old German : Freeholder; Feminine form of Carl
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish (now also common in Scotland) : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Cairealláin, an Ulster family name, also sometimes Anglicized as Carlton, meaning ‘descendant ofCaireallán’, a diminutive of the personal nameCaireall.
- French : from a pet form ofCharles.
- Swedish : probably a habitational name from any of various places named with Karl- or from the personal name +-in, a common suffix of Swedish family names (originally Latin-inus ‘descendant of’).
- Italian (Venice) : from a pet form of the personal name Carlo, Italian form ofCharles.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : Americanized spelling of Karlin.
- German : habitational name from Carlin in Brandenburg.