Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Horned goat; constellation of the Zodiac
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Ukrainian, Jewish (from Ukraine), Polish, Serbian, and Hungarian (Cáp) : from Ukrainian tsap ‘billy goat’, Polish cap, and so probably a nickname for someone thought to resemble the animal in some way or perhaps a metonymic occupational name for a goat herd.
- Czech (Čáp) : nickname for a tall or long-legged man, from čáp ‘stork’.
- Southern French : from Occitan cap ‘head’ (Latin caput); probably a nickname for a person with something distinctive about his head. The word was often used in the metaphorical sense ‘chief’, ‘principal’, and the surname may also have denoted a leader or a village elder. In some cases it may also be a topographic name from the same word used in the sense of a promontory or headland.
- Americanized spelling of German Kapp.
- English : variant spelling of Capp.