Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Free citizen; shopkeeper
Family name origins & meanings
- German (also Bürg) : topographic name, from Middle High German burc ‘fortification’, ‘castle’, or a habitational name from any of the numerous places called Burg.
- German : from a short form of the personal name Burkhard (see Burkhart).
- Dutch : short form of Vanderburg.
- Dutch : from a short form of the Germanic personal name Burgo.
- Jewish : variant of Burger.
- Probably in some cases an altered spelling of Burgh.