Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Meadow of deer
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Buckley
Family name origins & meanings
- English : habitational name from any of the many places so named, most of which are from Old English bucc ‘buck’, ‘male deer’ or bucca ‘he-goat’ + lēah ‘woodland clearing’. Places called Buckley and Buckleigh, in Devon, are named with Old English boga ‘bow’ + clif ‘cliff’.
- English : possibly a variant of Bulkley, from the local pronunciation.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Buachalla ‘descendant of Buachaill’, a byname meaning ‘cowherd’, ‘servant’, ‘boy’.
- Altered spelling of German Büchler (see Buechler), or of Büchle, a variant of Buechel.