Family name origins & meanings
- English : variant spelling of Butcher.
- German : topographic name for someone who lived by a beech tree or beech wood, from Middle High German buoche ‘beech tree’ + the suffix -er denoting an inhabitant.
- German : habitational name for someone from any of numerous places called Buch.
- French (Bûcher) : occupational name for a logger or woodsman, from a derivative of buche ‘log’.
- One of the earliest immigrants of the Bucher family came from Würzenhaus, Switzerland, to Philadelphia in 1735.