Family name origins & meanings
- German : from the Germanic personal name Baldo, a short form of the various compound names with the first element bald ‘bold’.
- German : nickname in the south for a short fat man or a topographic name in the north from Middle Low German bolle ‘knoll’, ‘rounded hill’.
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch bolle ‘ball’, ‘bread bun’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a baker or a nickname for a ball player.
- Norwegian : habitational name from a farm in northern Norway, so named with bolle ‘rounded hill’.
- Swedish : variant of Boll.