Family name origins & meanings
- English : nickname from Middle English bold ‘courageous’, ‘daring’ (Old English b(e)ald, cognate with Old High Germanbald). In some cases it may derive from an Old English personal name (see Bald).
- English : topographic name for someone who lived or worked at the main house in a settlement, from Old Englishbold, the usual West Midland and northwestern form of Old English bōðl, bōtl ‘dwelling house’, ‘hall’.
- English : habitational name for someone from Bold in Lancashire, which is named with Old English bold ‘dwelling’, as in 2 above.
- German : from the Germanic personal name Baldo, a short form of the various compound names with the element bald‘bold’, notably Baldwin in the north, and Reinbold in the south.
- Swedish : probably of German origin.