Boy name origins & meanings
- Old French : Herald
Family name origins & meanings
- North German : patronymic from the personal name Bode, or from a short form of any of the many compound names with the element Boden.
- German : topographic name for someone living in a valley bottom or the low-lying area of a field, Middle High German boden ‘ground’, ‘bottom’. Compare English Bottom.
- Swedish (Bodén) : ornamental name, possibly from bod ‘small hut’ + the common surname suffix -én, a derivative of Latin -enius ‘descendant of’.
- English : according to Reaney, a late variant of Baldwin.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Buadáin.