Boy name origins & meanings
- Hawaiian : Long-awaited child
Family name origins & meanings
- Hungarian (Bán) : from the old Hungarian personal nameBán.
- Hungarian, Serbian, and Croatian : from Slavicban or Hungarian bán ‘governor’ (from Avarbajan ‘rich’, ‘rich man’), historically a status name for a regional military or administrative leader (for example the governor of Croatia in the Habsburg Empire).
- Slovenian : probably from a reduced form of the personal name Urban.
- German : variant spelling of Bann.
- Japanese : ‘comrade’. This name is found mostly in eastern Japan. Some families pronounce the same character as Tomo.
- Chinese : according to legend, during the Spring and Autumn period (722–481 bc), a noble of the state of Chu was raised and suckled by a tiger. This tiger’s skin bore markings that resembled the character for Ban, and his descendants adopted this character, which may also mean ‘team’, ‘class’, ‘group’ as their surname.
- Korean : variant of Pan.