Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish (Mexico) : unexplained.
- Variant of French Baland, Balland, possibly a nickname from balland ‘dancer’.
- Czech (Balán) : from a reduced and altered form of the personal name Baltazar.
- Romanian : descriptive nickname from Romanian bǎlan ‘blond’.
- Indian (Kerala, Tamil Nadu) : Indian (Kerala, Tamil Nadu): Hindu name from Sanskrit bāla ‘child’ + the Tamil-Malayalam third-person masculine singular suffix -n. This is only a given name in India, but has come to be used as a family name in the U.S.
- A Balan with the secondary surname Lacombe is documented in Beaumont, Quebec, in 1699.