Top 15 Teen Birthday Gift Ideas in 2021
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
It can be a challenge to buy birthday gifts for teens as they leave the world of toys and play behind. Teens like to make their own choices, and self-expression is a priority for them. It is helpful to buy gifts that support their newly learned independence and their desire to make the world feel like their own.
Teen birthday gifts that focus on the gifts of experience, personalization, and passions will show the teen in your life that you respect who she is and love seeing her grow as a person. In addition, if you’re looking for Christmas gift ideas or even something like a graduation gift, we’ve gathered larger item recommendations. We’ve also gathered smaller items for back-to-school, stocking stuffers, just because, or other small holiday gifts. Whether you want unique gifts or the latest trendy gadget, this gift guide will help get you started.
Our Top Picks for Teens Ages 14 - 18:
- The Best Tech Gift - Apple AirPods Pro at Amazon
- The Best Electronic Gift - Charging Station For Multiple Devices at Amazon
- The Best Trendy Gift - Thermoflask Waterbottle at Amazon
- The Best Music Gift - Victrola Vintage 3-speed Suitcase Record Player at Amazon
- The Best Gift for Dreamers - Vision Board Kit at Amazon
- The Best Gadget Gift - FujiFilm Instax Mini at Amazon
- The Best Gift for Travelers - Scratch off World Map at Amazon
- The Best Bedroom Decor Gift - Photo Clip String Lights at Amazon
- The Best Gift for Gamers - Birdrock Gaming Chair at Amazon
- The Best Stocking Stuffer Gift for Teen Girls - Tie Dye Velvet Scrunchies at Amazon
- The Best Stocking Stuffer Gift for Teen Boys - Bluetooth Shower Speaker at Amazon
- The Best Gift for Movie Lovers - Netflix Account
- The Best Vacation Gift - Disney Trip
- The Best Memory Keeper Gift - Umbra Hangit Display Photo Collage at Amazon
- The Best Big Ticket Gift - Laptop at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing Gifts for Teens
- Level of Responsibility - Before purchasing big-ticket items such as AirPod Pros or a new laptop, take your teen’s level of responsibility into account. These are not items that can be replaced at the drop of a hat, and they will need to learn how to carefully take care of them and keep them safe before you gift it to them.
- Interests of Teen - Most of these gift items are appropriate for ages 14-18, but even with a four year gap there is a level of maturity that can vary greatly. Take the interests of your teen into consideration when determining the perfect gift. High School can be a tough time to find things your teen will consider cool gifts, but if it plays into their interests you’re likely to have more success.
How We Chose Our Favorites
We consulted with experts, parents, and special education educators to get the lowdown on what you need to know to choose the best sensory toys for kids with special needs. We also tapped into these experts' advice to find out which brands were best and easily available on Amazon.
If you don’t already have a Netflix account, this is a great option for a movie-loving teen. Many Netflix Originals are geared towards teens, and the plethora of available movies and shows to stream are never-ending. Great for sleepovers and cozy weekends.
Walt Disney World Trip
A family trip to the happiest place on earth is a big, but super fun gift for teens. If you’re feeling really generous allow them to invite their best friend. They will make memories that will last a lifetime and will be thrilled with being gifted an experience.
Now that you’ve thought through all of the ways to make this birthday one to remember, you can make an educated selection. No matter what gift you choose, as long as you honor her individuality and pathway towards adulthood, your teen will love your gift and appreciate your efforts.
For more advice and help raising teens, follow FamilyEducation on Pinterest: