popular topics in teen social and emotional issues
- ShynessAge-by-Age Guide to Helping Your Shy Child ThriveNot every person is cut out to be a social butterfly. Research shows that nearly half of all teens and adults identify themselves as shy. Some people are born with a timid temperament, and others seem to develop a shy personality along the way....Erin Dower
- Gender Differences6 Tips for Understanding and Raising a Transgender ChildLearning that your child is transgender can bring on a range of emotions — from confusion and grief to anger and fear — and will likely leave you with many questions. Will your child be safe? How will this change the dynamic of your family? M...Erin Dower
- Mother/Daughter RelationshipsHow to Survive Your Daughter's Teen YearsHow to Survive Your Daughter's Teen YearsThe surging hormones and emotional changes that frame our daughters' adolescence can feel like a roller coaster ride. Sometimes the "terrible teens" can dim the glow of the most confident moms. Dr. Roni Co...Kyanna Sutton
- Teen Depression11 Signs Your Teen Could Be DepressedTeen angst and moodiness is something you expect your child to go through somewhere around middle or high school. Although general sulkiness is par for the course during these hormonal years, sometimes these behaviors can signal a deeper problem....Lindsay Hutton
- Dealing With Bullies11 Warning Signs Your Child Is Being BulliedRecent tragic events in the news have again brought to light how serious and devastating bullying can be. Aside from physical abuse, bullying can also include verbal abuse (taunting, teasing, and name-calling), emotional abuse (making someone the...Lindsay Hutton
- Connecting With Your Teen10 Simple Ways to Connect to Your TeenLet's face it — sometimes it seems as though teenagers hail from a different planet. While it's true that your teenage child still needs your guidance as a parent, many times it feels as though having a conversation with her might seem about as...Lindsay Hutton
- Teen DepressionSon Threatens to Kill HimselfIf you feel manipulated, you probably are. Your son may be seeking power and finding that this response gets him what he wants. ...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Fostering IndependenceParents Weigh In: What's the Right Age for Kids to ...Start watching TV, choose their own clothes, have a cell phone, wear makeup, and stay home alone? Knowing when your child is ready for these responsibilities really comes down to knowing your child, but seeing how other parents weigh in can give ...Erin Dower
- Teen IndependenceThe iConnected Parent: Are You Making Life Too Easy for Your Teen?The iConnected Parent: Are You Making Life Too Easy for Your Teen? iPhones. Email. Skype. In this day and age, keeping in touch with people is almost always just a click, dial, or keystroke away. And this includes your college-aged child. Nobody...Lindsay Hutton
- Homosexual TeensSupport for Gay Teens Facing Homophobia and BullyingSupport for Gay Teens Facing Homophobia and Bullying In the span of a few weeks in September and early October 2010, at least five gay teens in the U.S. took their own life after struggles with teasing and bullying in school. The suicides of Tyle...Erin Dower
- PromAfter-Prom PartiesAfter-Prom Parties The after-prom party has taken a twist in recent years as parents have teamed up to sponsor alcohol-and drug-free celebrations -- often on school property -- chaperoned by parents and teachers. The challenge is to make the part...Susan Crites Price
- Teen DepressionDo You Think Your Teen Is Cutting? You're Not AloneDo You Think Your Teen Is Cutting? You're Not Alone The teenage years can be tough - we all know that. Many teens don't know how to deal with the confusion and inner turmoil that comes along with adolescence, and some may resort to drastic measur...Lindsay Hutton
- Teen StressIs Your Teen More Stressed Than You Think?Is Your Teen More Stressed Than You Think? As a parent, you might think your teen has a pretty easygoing life. After all, being a night owl and sleeping late on the weekends doesn't exactly spell stressed out. However, recent findings are telling...Lindsay Hutton
- Communicating With TeensEssential Rules of Parenting: Raising Teenagers SuccessfullyWhen your child becomes a teenager, you're well over halfway through the job of raising them, and you have only a few years left to instill all those values and principles you want them to go into adult life with. And suddenly, they look as if th...
- Respecting Teen PrivacyMy Parents Won't Respect My PrivacyWhat can you do when you feel that your parents are violating your privacy? ...
- Book FinderBook FinderFind our top picks for the best books of the year!familyeducation editors
- AnxietyDealing With School AnxietyDealing with School Anxiety For dealing with anxieties about school performance, many of the techniques for dealing with anxious thoughts are relevant. However, parents might find the following suggestions helpful: Try to stay relaxed yourself....