These quick tips are 10 essential ways to parent your children into physically and emotionally healthy adults.
Top 10 Parenting Tips
- Show them you love them -- Fathers in particular can find it difficult to cuddle and kiss their children. However, children need physical comfort from both parents. Let the children see you cuddle each other, too.
- Maintain boundaries -- Children need to know what's acceptable and what's not. However liberal you are, make sure you define and protect the boundaries of tolerable behavior.
- Listen -- Even babies vocalize a wide range of feelings and demands. Older children learn by asking questions. Make time to listen.
- Tired kids sleep longer -- Exercise is good for us all, particularly the young. If your child is constantly on the go, take him or her to the park and play ball. Encourage them to play a sport.
- Keep your cool -- Don't let your little darlings wind you up. Getting heated won't help them understand what they're doing wrong.
- Spare the rod -- If you're over 40, the chances are your parents and perhaps teachers hit you when you were bad. Psychologists now believe this gives all the wrong messages. Impose sanctions instead.
- Don't criticize -- Self-esteem is fragile in the young and easily damaged. Criticize bad behavior but don't criticize the child.
- Give them space -- The older a child gets, the more they'll value their own private space. If you're worried by what you might find, don't poke around in their room.
- Apologize -- If you get it wrong, apologize. No one is perfect, and parents should not always be right.
- Involve your own parents -- They managed to raise you didn't they? So why not make sure your children build strong relationships with all of their grandparents.