popular topics in health and safety
- Heat-Related SafetyPreventing Hot Car Deaths: 6 Facts & Tips for ParentsEvery year, between 30 and 50 children in the U.S. die from overheating in a vehicle. Most of those deaths are the result of a parent or caregiver forgetting a child — usually a sleeping baby or toddler — in the car on a warm or hot day. You ...Erin Dower
- Contagious Childhood Illnesses10 Facts You Need to Know About the Measles OutbreakSince the beginning of 2015, the measles have infected more than 150 people from 17 states, with many cases stemming from an outbreak that originated at Disneyland in California and prompting the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to issue a pr...Lindsay Hutton
- Baby and Toddler Health IssuesIs It Okay for Toddlers to Take Sips of Wine and Beer?Is it ever acceptable to let a two-year-old sip wine and beer? ...
- Sun SafetyBest Sun-Safety Practices for BabiesThe sun's UV rays can be damaging year round, even when it is cloudy or cold, and your baby's thin skin burns much easier than an adult's does. Follow these sun-safety practices for babies to ensure your little one stays safe in the sun throughou...Lindsay Hutton
- Keeping Kids HealthyBusted! 6 Truths About Childhood MythsDo you really need to wait an hour before swimming? Can you go outside with wet hair? Did you ever wonder if any of these myths were true? Find out the answers to all your pressing childhood questions! ...Lindsay Hutton
- Breastfeeding ChallengesNew Guidelines on Medication Safety for Breastfeeding MothersNew Guidelines on Medication Safety for Breastfeeding Mothers Do you have concerns about breastfeeding while on certain medications? Good news: In the September 2013 issue of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) shares its revised...Erin Dower
- Bathing Babies and ToddlersCircumcision and Penile Adhesions in InfantIf a small amount of foreskin remains, it is appropriate to gently pull it back each day during a bath or diaper change. Sometimes the surfaces of skin do stick to each other, resulting in adhesions. These adhesions can be pulled apart with gentl...
- Fact Monster - a safe online educational space for kids
Are you worried about your kids being online? Fact Monster is a KidSafe-certified site for your kids to get homework help, play games and watch educational videos. Check it out...and give Same Game a try yourself!
sponsored contentFamily Education
- Caring for a NewbornA Guide to the New Rules of Parenting: Why Babies Can't Sleep on Their Stomach and MoreParenting practices, trends, and tools are always evolving. If you're an expectant mom or grandparent who's more familiar with parenting trends from the disco era, use this list to catch up on today's written and unwritten rules of raising a baby...Erin Dower
- Parenting Tools PrintablesDiaper Bag Essentials Printable ListA properly packed and well-stocked diaper bag is a must when you and your baby are out and about. Use this printable checklist to make sure you have all you need to keep your little one happy and comfortable while away from home. ...
- General Care and HygieneCloudMom VideosVideos Breast Milk Storage Tips more videos from CloudMom What You Need to Know About Formula Feeding How to Set Up the Pack and Play ...
- Doctor's VisitsGoing to the Doctor's AloneOur expert believes that age 12 is too young to go to the doctor alone, particularly for a physical. ...
- Bites and StingsSafest Bug Sprays for Your Kids: Protect Against West Nile and MoreSafest Bug Sprays for Your Kids: Protect Against West Nile and More West Nile Virus (WNV) is a potentially serious illness that is spread through mosquitoes, and is a particular threat during the summer and fall months in North America. The Cente...Lindsay Hutton
- Sun SafetySafest Sunscreens for KidsAre you looking for a natural, mineral-based sunscreen for your child? The EWG recently updated their list of best chemical-free sunscreens for 2016. Check out this list of the top picks, and use our sunscreen guide for all ages to find a product...Lindsay Hutton
- Adjusting to New Motherhood12 Taboo Topics for New MomsNew motherhood brings a bundle of joy — as well as a lot of prying questions, judgmental comments, and unwanted advice about raising a baby. We've compiled some awkward and awful real-life anecdotes from moms. Learn what topics call for caution...Erin Dower
- Growth and Physical DevelopmentBreast Buds in ToddlersFind out whether it's normal for a toddler to have breast buds, and whether a doctor's examination is warranted. ...
- Book FinderBook FinderFind our top picks for the best books of the year!familyeducation editors
- Car SeatsAAP Issues New Car Seat GuidelinesAAP Issues New Car Seat GuidelinesIn the April issue of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) now recommends toddlers be kept in rear-facing car seats at least until the age of 2, with smaller children remaining that way for even ...Lindsay Hutton