Meaning and Origin of: Kane
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Japanese : Two right thumbs
- Hebrew : Craftsman; spear
- Hawaiian : Man, the eastern sky
- Irish : Honor, tribute
- Japanese : Doubly accomplished, golden, man
- Scottish : Warlike
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish (Ulster) : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Catháin ‘descendant of Cathán’ (see O’Kane). Compare Keane.
- Scottish : reduced form of McKean.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : altered spelling of Cohen.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : variant spelling of Kanne.
- Probably also an Americanized spelling of German Köhn (see Kohn).