Meaning and Origin of: Cain
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Craftsman; spear
- Hebrew : Life; masculine form of Eve
- Hawaiian : Man, the eastern sky
- Irish : Honor, tribute
- Japanese : Doubly accomplished, golden, man
- Scottish : Warlike
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Scottish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Iain, patronymic from Iain, one of the Gaelic forms of John. This name is found in many other spellings, including McCain, Kean, and McKean. In some cases it may also be a variant of Coyne.
- English : variant spelling of Cane.
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from Caen in Calvados, France, named with the Gaulish elements catu ‘battle’ + magos ‘field’, ‘plain’.
- French (Caïn) : from the Biblical name Cain (Hebrew Qayin), probably applied as a derogatory nickname for someone who was considered to be treacherous.
- Spanish (Caín) : habitational name from a place called Caín in León.