Meaning and Origin of: Cane
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hawaiian : Man, the eastern sky
- Irish : Honor, tribute
- Japanese : Doubly accomplished, golden, man
- Scottish : Warlike
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : nickname for a tall thin man, from Middle English, Old French cane ‘cane’, ‘reed’ (Latin canna). It may also be a topographic name for someone who lived in a damp area overgrown with reeds, or a metonymic occupational name for someone who gathered reeds, which were widely used in the Middle Ages as a floor covering, as roofing material, and for weaving small baskets.
- Southern Italian : either a habitational name from a place named Canè, in Bescia and Belluna, or more likely an occupational name for a basket maker or the like, from Greek kanna ‘reed’ + the occupational suffix -(e)as.
- French : Norman and Picard variant of chane a term denoting a particular type of elongated pitcher (ultimately from Latin canna ‘reed’), hence possibly a metonymic occupational name for a potter who specialized in making such jugs, or a nickname for someone who resembled one.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of German Köhn (see Kuehn).