The Best Christmas Books for Kids
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
A great way to feel the magic of Christmas around you is to snuggle up with a good book by the fire, which is why we’ve compiled a list of the best Christmas books for kids. Settle down together and get into the holiday spirit while enjoying beautiful illustrations and lovely tales with the option to choose paperback or board books depending on your child’s age.
Come together to create a new tradition and save each book for year after year. Before you know it your child will be reciting the stories back to you from memory.
We’re sure you’ll find something for everyone, young and old, with this extensive list including some of our favorite classics of all time.
Our Tops Picks
- Best Classic Seuss Book - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Best Authentic Folktale Book - Letters From Father Christmas
- Best Lift the Flap Book - Dream Snow
- Best Caldecott Award Book - The Snowy Day
- Best Story of Hope - A Christmas Wish for Corduroy
- Best Story about Sharing - Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree
- Best Classic Holiday Story - The Polar Express
- Best Book for Ballet Lovers - The Nutcracker
- Best Story for Listening - The Christmas Quiet Book
- Best Christmas Book with a Lesson - The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
- Best Interactive Christmas Book - The Jolly Christmas Postman
- Best Nativity Story Book - Christmas in the Manger
- Best Story About Giving - Bear Stays Up For Christmas
- Best Funny Christmas Book - The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- Best Mexican Legend Story - The Legend of the Pointsettia
- New York Times Bestseller - The Night Before Christmas
- Best Fantasy Christmas Book - The Gingerbread Man
- Best Toddler Book - Llama Llama Holiday Drama
- Best Christian Classic - A Christmas Carol
- Best Counting Book - Little Blue Truck’s Christmas
- Best Rhyming Christmas Book - Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
- Best Little Golden Book - Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer
- Best Wordless Book - The Snowman
- Best Board Book - Santa’s Cookie is Missing!
- Best Early Reader Christmas Book - All the Colors of Christmas
- Best Christmas Activity Book - The Crayon’s Christmas
- Best Emotions Book - The Not Very Merry Pout-Pout Fish
- Best Christmas Manners Book - It’s Christmas, David!
- Best Family Christmas Book - The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
- The Best Illustrations - The Wild Christmas Reindeer
What to Consider When Purchasing Christmas Books for Kids
- Book Material - Do you have a young toddler who would do better with a sturdy board book? Many classic stories also come in board book format. Avoid giving paper pages to younger children if you want your book to last longer than one season.
- Don’t assume they will love the same books you did, some of the older books have language that is very different from what children are used to and may be difficult for younger readers to interpret. It’s a great idea to mix some of the classics in with some of the newer books with their current favorite characters.
- Religious Content- Many Christmas stories are rooted in religious affiliation, depending on your family dynamic, determine whether this is appropriate for your family. (Here are our favorite holiday books for all faiths.)