The Ultimate List of Baby Must Haves
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
If you’re expecting your first baby, you have probably already been bombarded with information about all the baby gear you need to go out and buy. Truthfully, babies don’t need a whole lot of stuff during their first year, but there are a few key baby items that will make it all so much easier. Knowing what to get (and what to skip!) will simplify your transition into motherhood. We put together a list of the ultimate must-have baby products to help you get started.
New babies have a few basic needs. They need to be dressed, fed, and diapered. They need to be soothed to sleep in a baby-safe sleep environment. That’s about it! Newborns only have a few necessities but boy will they keep you busy.
We got the lowdown from seasoned moms to come up with our list of the very best product choices for everything you need when you bring home your new bundle of joy!
Baby Registry Must Haves
Layette (Baby Clothes and Swaddles)
- Simple Joys by Carter's Baby 6-Pack Short-Sleeve Bodysuit at Amazon
- Simple Joys by Carter's Baby 3-Pack Cotton Footed Sleep and Play at Amazon
- KYTE BABY Unisex Bamboo Rayon Baby Beanie Soft Knotted Cap at Amazon
- Simple Joys by Carter's Baby 3-Pack Cotton Sleeper Gown at Amazon
- Halo Sleepsack Cotton Wearable Blanket, Blue Stars, Medium at Amazon
- aden + anais Swaddle Blanket, Boutique Muslin Blankets for Girls & Boys, Baby Receiving Swaddles, Ideal Newborn & Infant Swaddling Set, Perfect Shower Gifts, 4 Pack, Jungle Jam at Amazon
- Carter's Baby Boys 4-Pack Teething Bibs with Water Barrier (Koala) at Amazon
- Diapers Newborn/Size 1 (8-14 lb), 198 Count - Pampers Swaddlers Disposable Baby Diapers, ONE MONTH SUPPLY at Amazon
- WaterWipes Unscented Baby Wipes, Sensitive and Newborn Skin, 12 Packs (720 Wipes) at Amazon
- Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment - Advance Therapy for Diaper Rash, Chapped Cheeks and Minor Scrapes - 14. Oz Jar at Amazon
- BreathableBaby Breathable Mesh Mini Crib with Mattress, Gray at Amazon
Also, check out: The 8 Best Convertible Cribs of 2020.
- HOFISH 3PACK Full Bust Seamless Nursing Maternity Bras Bralette S-XXL with Extra Bra Extenders & Clips at Amazon
- Amazon Brand - Arabella Women'S Cross Front Nursing Bra at Amazon
- Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads for Breastfeeding, 240 Count at Amazon
- Motherlove Nipple Cream (1 oz.) Organic Lanolin-Free Herbal Salve for Soothing Sore Nursing Nipples – Unscented Ointment, No Need to Wash Off Prior to Breastfeeding, Great as a Pump Lubricant at Amazon
- Boppy Original Nursing Pillow and Positioner, Notebook Black and Gold, Cotton Blend Fabric with allover fashion at Amazon
- Medela Freestyle Breast Pump at Amazon
- Medela Breast Milk Storage Bottles, 3 Pack of 5 Ounce Breastfeeding Bottles with Slow Flow Nipples, Lids, Wide Base Collars, and Travel Caps, Made Without BPA at Amazon
- Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula with 2'-FL Human Milk Oligosaccharide (HMO) for Immune Support, Ready to Drink Bottles, 2 fl oz (48 count) at Amazon
- Similac Infant Nipples & Rings, Standard Flow, Ready to Use, Pack of 25 (0 - 12 Months) at Amazon
- UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat -Jordan (Charcoal Melange)Merino Wool Version/Naturally Fire Retardant at Amazon
- UPPAbaby Cruz V2 Stroller - Emmett (Green Melange/Silver/Saddle Leather) + Bassinet - Emmett (Green Melange/Silver) at Amazon
- Skip Hop Universal Stroller Organizer: Insulated Beverage and Essentials Stroller Caddy, Black at Amazon
- Skip Hop Baby Pronto Portable Changing Station with Cushioned Changing Mat and Wipes Case, 3 Pockets, Multi Hearts at Amazon
- Ergobaby 360 All-Position Baby Carrier with Lumbar Support and Cool Air Mesh (12-45 Pounds), Carbon Grey at Amazon
- Comper Smart Medical Forehead Thermometer, No-Touch Infrared Thermometer, Digital Temporal Thermometer, Accurate, Fast Reading and Recording Fever for Baby, Kids, Adult at Amazon
- Infants' Tylenol Acetaminophen Liquid Medicine, Cherry, 2 fl. Oz at Amazon
- Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier, Pink/Purple, 0-3 months, 4 pack at Amazon
Layette (Baby Clothes and Swaddles)
Short-sleeved onesies are the baby version of a basic white T. Stock up on onesies in size 0-3 months because often babies are born too big for the newborn size. You can always buy newborn size later if you end up with a tiny baby.
Keep your little one snug all day in footed pajamas. This eliminates the need for socks or the issue of babies pulling them off! Go for zippered versions because too many snaps will have you pulling your hair out at the 3 a.m. diaper change.
Hats help keep babies warm. Just remember that your little one should not sleep with a hat on.
Sleeper gowns are the best for middle of the night diaper changes, because there isn't anything to undo. You can dress your newborn in a onesie with a sleeper gown over it for sleep. Remember not to over-bundle.
Keep your little one feeling snug and secure using a swaddling blanket. We love these adorable swaddles because they're super-soft. This item has multiple uses too, and can function as a burp cloth, tummy time mat, car seat cover, nursing cover, or changing pad liner.
Some babies love to be swaddled, while others despise it. Regardless, swaddling should stop after the first eight weeks of life to make sure your little one doesn't roll for the first time at night and risk death by suffocation (even if you use a baby monitor). Be ready for the transition with these sleepsacks (or just use sleepsacks right off the bat).
Babies tend to spit up or drool, so keeping a bib on your little one will help prevent having to change their clothes constantly.
We love Pampers because they fit snugly and don't leak, and because they absorb odors really well. Best of all, a blue line appears on the diaper when it's wet, so you know when you need to change it. Before being used, they lie flat so you can store several in your diaper bag.
These wipes are so gentle and the only ingredients are water and fruit juice extract! They're also very moist and hold up well. It only takes one wipe to clean up most messes. You will find yourself using them for many other things than just diaper changes.
Use this as a barrier cream after every diaper change at the start, and then you can use it only as needed, if your little one develops a diaper rash.
This mini crib is great because you can use it as a bassinet and later lower the mattress to use it as a crib. It is small enough to keep it in your room for the first year, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for safe sleep.
These nursing bras will make you feel put together even when you're feeding a baby every three hours during the day. They have great support and are so comfortable.
This bra is comfortable enough to sleep in and allows you to nurse easily in the middle of the night.
Many new moms don't realize that leakage can be extreme in the early months of breastfeeding. Use these pads inside your bra to avoid soaked shirts.
Breastfeeding is an adjustment, especially for first time new moms. Your nipples might be sore or cracked and it's important to take care of yourself. This salve will restore your skin and you don't have to worry about wiping it off before your baby nurses.
Save your arms and stay comfortable as you nurse with this donut-shaped pillow. It can also be used to prop baby up during awake time.
A breast pump is not a requirement if you are nursing, but most women like to have one, especially now that health insurance companies will cover the cost. This one is portable and works well.
Store pumped milk in these five ounce bottles, which is just the amount of milk breastfed babies usually take in one feeding.
We like Similac Pro-Advance because it is doctor recommended. Use formula if you choose or have a few of these small bottles on hand for emergencies if your plan is to breastfeed.
These nipples and rings fit right on to the ready to feed formula bottles.
All new moms need a car seat to leave the hospital. The mesa is perfect because it's portable and can fit onto your stroller for easy transport. Install your car seat while you're still pregnant and throw your hospital bag in next to it so you're all ready when the time comes.
This stroller is very popular among new moms. It's attractive and very functional, with just enough storage space in the basket. The wheels get really great traction so it's a breeze to push around town. We like this package, which comes with the corresponding bassinet. Babies will sleep in their strollers, and a flat bassinet is a safe way to get a few stroller naps in while you take a nice walk.
Mom life gets way easier with a stroller caddy! Throw your phone, a water bottle, some tissues, hand sanitizer, or whatever else you need within your reach in this organizer.
Forget a diaper bag packed to the brim and a bulky changing pad when you're on the go. The Skip Hop Pronto makes diapering a breeze. Just toss it into your stroller or buckle the strap onto your baby carrier and you're ready for diaper changes anywhere. This changing station is a small bag that unfolds into a changing pad with a handy pocket for diapers and another for wipes. It's one of the best baby products out there.
Babies love being carried but your arms will get tired fast. A baby carrier solves that problem, plus it lets your baby feel even more comfortable and snug up against you as you walk around getting things done. Make sure to check the weight minimum before using it, and use the infant insert if required.
We love this thermometer because you don't have to worry about your little one fussing or moving around. It's done almost immediately.
Tylenol is only safe for babies with a doctor's OK, so be sure to ask. It is good to have on hand for fevers or teething pain.
Pacifiers do wonders to calm babies and help them sleep. They are even recommended as an anti-SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) precaution. Out of all the pacifiers out there, most moms said their babies preferred these ones.