Our 10 Favorite Building Blocks for Kids
Editorâs Note: We know raising kids can be hard. Thatâs why weâre dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
Building blocks provide many opportunities for creative play, problem-solving, and the development of fine motor skills. Generally, the best blocks are the simplest. Check out our top picks for the best building blocks for kids.
Our Top Picks
- Best Wooden Blocks: Melissa & Doug Standard Unit Blocks at Amazon
- Best Alphabet Blocks: Melissa & Doug Wooden ABC/123 Blocks at Amazon
- Best Lego Set: LEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box Building Kit (790 Pieces) at Amazon
- Best Duplo Legos: LEGO DUPLO Classic Deluxe Brick Box Starter Set (85 Pieces) at Amazon
- A Good Alternative to Duplo Blocks: Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag (80 Pieces) at Amazon
- Best Magnetic Blocks: PicassoTiles 100 Piece Set at Amazon
- Best Baby Blocks: Mini Tudou Baby Blocks 12PCS at Amazon
- Best Jumbo Block Set: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Cardboard Blocks - 40 Pieces at Amazon
- Most Enchanting Block Set: Cheetoys Fairytale Kingdom Color Wooden Building Blocks Castle at Amazon
- Most Creative Block Set: PicassoTiles 120pcs 3D Building Blocks at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing Building Blocks
- Are they simple?
The best toys let the child take the lead, and not the other way around.
- Are they durable?
A good block set will get plenty of love through childhood so you want it to last.
- Do they stack easily?
Some types of blocks fit together with magnets or links, while others need to be stacked and balanced. A good quality set will make this easy enough for little hands.
How We Chose Our Favorites
We reached out to real parents and real kids to learn which block sets are the most universally loved. Here are our top 10 choices: