Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : Nature-loving; yew tree
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish (County Donegal) : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Muighe ‘descendant of Muighe’, of unexplained etymology. The English surname (see 2) has also become established in Ulster.
- English (Norfolk) : unexplained. Compare Moy 1.
- French : habitational name from places so called in Aisne and Saône-et-Loire, named in Latin as Modiacum ‘(estate) of Modius’ (see Moya 2).
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern Norway named Moi, from Old Norse mói, the dative case of mór ‘sandy plain’.
- Chinese : possibly a variant spelling of Mei 1.