Meaning and Origin of: Kaiser
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Long-haired; hairy
- Latin : A fine head of hair; Famous emperor
- Shakespearean : From Julius Caesar
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German : from Middle High German keiser ‘emperor’, from the Latin imperial title Caesar. This was the title borne by Holy Roman Emperors from Otto I (962) to Francis II (who relinquished the title in 1806). Later, it was borne by the monarch of Bismarck’s united Germany (1871–1918). It is very common as a German surname, originating partly as an occupational name for a servant in the Emperor’s household, partly as a nickname for someone who behaved in an imperious manner, and partly from a house sign.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German Kaiser ‘emperor’, adopted (like Graf, Herzog, etc.) because of its aristocratic connotations.
- Muslim : from Arabic qaỵsar ‘emperor’, which, like 1, is of Latin origin, from the imperial title in the Roman Empire.