Meaning and Origin of: Ray
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Little lamb, ewe; one with purity
- Scottish : Grace
- English : Doe
- German : Wise protection
- Latin : Ruler
- Hebrew : My song, my lord
- Old English : Doe
- French : Kingly
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (of Norman origin) : nickname denoting someone who behaved in a regal fashion or who had earned the title in some contest of skill or by presiding over festivities, from Old French rey, roy ‘king’. Occasionally this was used as a personal name.
- English : nickname for a timid person, from Middle English ray ‘female roe deer’ or northern Middle English ray ‘roebuck’.
- English : variant of Rye (1 and 2).
- English : habitational name, a variant spelling of Wray.
- Scottish : reduced and altered form of McRae.
- French : from a noun derivative of Old French raier ‘to gush, stream, or pour’, hence a topographic name for someone who lived near a spring or rushing stream, or a habitational name from a place called Ray.
- Indian : variant of Rai.