Meaning and Origin of: Rachel
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew : Little lamb, ewe; one with purity
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- German (mainly Bavaria) : probably a topographic name from Middle High German rach ‘rough’, ‘steep’.
- German : from a pet form of a Slavic personal name (see Rach).
- German : habitational name from a place called Rachel in Bohemia.
- French : metronymic from the female Biblical name Rachel, meaning ‘ewe’ in Hebrew. In the Bible (Genesis 28–35), Rachel is the wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin.