Unique Backyard Barbecue Recipes for Summer
Tired of serving the same old hamburgers and hot dogs when you host a summer get-together? Just give a few a these unique backyard barbecue recipes a try and you'll be the talk of the neighborhood! From the main course to dessert, you're sure to see clean plates with these interesting and delicious grilled dishes.
Rosemary Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Skewers
Photo Credit: Mom On Timeout
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced
- Bamboo skewers
- Dice the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes, and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, dressing mix, pepper, salt, and fresh rosemary into a bowl, and stir until completely combined into a marinade.
- Push the chicken cubes on to bamboo skewers, then coat with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour, then grill for 10 to 15 minutes.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Doughnuts
Photo Credit: Our Best Bites
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 glazed doughnuts
- Whipped cream, sweetened
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Combine the strawberries and granulated sugar in a bowl, and stir to coat completely.
- Slice doughnuts in half lengthwise and grill with the glazed side facing down until golden brown.
- Remove the doughnuts from the grill and set aside to allow the glaze to caramelize.
- Place one half of the doughnut on to a plate, top with strawberries and whipped cream, then cover with the other half of the doughnut.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Grilled Chicken Shawarma
Photo Credit: Feasting at Home
Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Combine the cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, olive oil, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger, black pepper and allspice in a bowl, and mix well to create a paste.
- Rub the paste over the chicken pieces with your hands, covering all sides, and allow the chicken to sit for 20 minutes.
- Grill for 8 minutes on each side, then bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes to finish.
Photo Credit: Bread Babe
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves up to 12
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 bowls
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Plastic wrap
- Preferred pizza toppings
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in a bowl, and mix well.
- Add in the olive oil and warm water (115 degrees Fahrenheit). Stir well with a spoon to create a dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface, then knead the dough for about 8 minutes.
- Place the dough into a second greased bowl, then cover it with plastic wrap. Place the bowl into a warm location for 1hour. The dough will double in size.
- Cut the dough in half, and roll each piece to roughly 1/4-inch thickness. Slightly roll up the edges of the dough.
- Place the rolled-out dough on to the grill, then close the grill for 5 minutes.
- Remove the grilled pizza crusts and add your preferred toppings.
- Put the pizzas back on the grill and close the lid for an additional 5 minutes.
Grilled Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae
Photo Credit: Brown Sugar
Time: 20 minutes
- Aluminum foil
- Baking spray
- Pre-made cookie dough squares
- Ice cream
- Hot fudge
- Cut out four 12-by-8-inch rectangles from aluminum foil with scissors.
- Spray each piece of foil with baking spray.
- Place four pieces of pre-made cookie dough in the center of each piece of foil, then pull up and cinch the edges of the foil to seal it completely.
- Grill the foil packets for 15 minutes.
- Open up each foil packet, top with ice cream and hot fudge, then serve.
Along with all the unique backyard barbecue recipes you're going to try out, make sure to stay safe at your next cookout by learning barbecue safety.