Downplay Sibling Rivalry in Sports
Updated: May 15, 2019
Minimize sibling rivalries to put the fun back into sports in your family.
Downplay Sibling Rivalry in SportsTry these tips for keeping sibling rivalries to a minimum in your family.
- Encourage your child to try new activities.
- Encourage your child to work on skills.
- Offer praise for whatever he or she does well.
- Allow your child to pick his own sports, regardless of what sport the sibling chooses.
- Praise siblings for teaching or supporting one another.
- Give equal attention to nonsports interests.
- Keep as many options as possible open to each child.
- Play favorites.
- Compare your kids.
- Assign roles to your kids.
- Limit their areas of interest.
- Forget to encourage youngest siblings.
- Let competition enter the home.
- Let your youngest child become just a spectator.