This craft is found in many cultures worldwide. It's easy to make and the result is quite attractive.
This craft is found among many cultures of the world. Its Spanish name is ojo de Dios, which means "eye of God."
- Two sticks (any kind)
- Yarn in several colors or variegated yarn
- Have your child cross two sticks so they're perpendicular to each other.
- As your child holds the sticks, bind them together by crisscrossing yarn around the center of the cross.
- Tie one end of a length of yarn to one arm of the cross.
- Show your child how to wrap the yarn over and around an adjacent arm. (Be sure to wrap the yarn around the arm, not just over or under it.)
- Wrap the yarn around the next arm in the same way.
- Keep wrapping yarn in this way, creating a diamond shape, until you want to change colors.
- Tie off the end of the yarn and repeat the process above with a new length of yarn in a different color. Do this as many times as you like.
- If your child has difficulty changing yarn, use variegated yarn.
- You can make your own variegated yarn by cutting yarn of various colors into two-yard lengths.
- Tie the lengths together end to end.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.