The Best Backpacks for Kids for Back to School
Editor's Note: This article contains affiliate links to Amazon. That means if you buy a product via the link on our site, we get a little bit of money. However, these recommendations are based on current trends and the quality of the brand.
Unlike disposable school supplies, backpacks are an investment made to last that can be carried across many school years. You want something sturdy, durable, and age-appropriate. A backpack is also a great way for your kid to express their unique personality, so take their opinion into consideration this back-to-school season. Outside of a bookbag, backpacks can be used as daypacks and suitcases when traveling, so choosing the right option will serve you well.
Here are our 10 favorite backpacks for every age.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall Kids Backpack: High Sierra Loop Backpack at Amazon
- Best Everyday Kids Backpack: Fjallraven Kanken Classic Backpack at Amazon
- Best Disney Backpack: Mickey Mouse Deluxe Backpack at Amazon
- Best Travel Backpack: The North Face Women’s Borealis Backpack at Amazon
- Best Backpack for Elementary School: JanSport SuperBreak Backpack at Amazon
- Best Backpack for Middle School: Adidas Unisex Backpack at Amazon
- Best Backpack for High School: Herschel Little America Laptop Backpack at Amazon
- Best Laptop Backpack: SwissGear ScanSmart Laptop Backpack at Amazon
- Best Crossbody Backpack: Nicgid Sling Backpack at Amazon
- Best Rolling Backpack: J World New York Sundance Rolling Backpack at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing a Kids Backpack
- Storage Space for school essentials. Depending on the age of your child the amount of storage needed for school supplies, books, and a laptop can vary. Typically the older the child, the more pockets and storage space the better. A bottle holder or bottle pocket on the side is great for all ages for easy access to a water bottle throughout the school day.
- Shoulder Straps. Again, this can be a preference depending on the age of your child. The heavier the load, for example, high school level textbooks, the sturdier the straps need to be. Extra-large backpacks with padded straps are a great option for high schoolers.
- Material. Both durability and the ability to clean are essential requirements for backpack material. If you choose a backpack that is made from durable material, you can expect them to last for a few years even with daily wear and tear. As a bonus, if they are made from a material that is easy to clean, then you can keep it looking fresh and new year after year.
We know being a parent is never easy. Continue to explore our list of The Coolest New School Supplies to help prepare for this upcoming school year.