Meaning and Origin of: Shaw
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : A grove
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : topographic name for someone who lived by a copse or thicket, Middle English s(c)hage, s(c)hawe (Old English sceaga), or a habitational name from any of the numerous minor places named with this word. The English surname was also established in Ireland in the 17th century.
- Scottish and Irish : adopted as an English form of any of various Gaelic surnames derived from the personal name Sitheach ‘wolf’.
- Americanized form of some like-sounding Ashkenazic Jewish surname.
- Chinese : variant of Shao.
- Early American merchants and revolutionary patriots were Nathaniel Shaw (b. 1735 in New London, CT) and Samuel Shaw (b. 1754 in Boston).