Meaning and Origin of: Morton
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Anglo-Saxon : City on the moor
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English and Scottish : habitational name from any of the many places called Mor(e)ton, named in Old English as ‘settlement (tūn) by or on a marsh or moor (mōr)’.
- Swedish : variant of Martin.
- French : contracted form of Moreton 2.
- Americanized form of one or more like-sounding Jewish surnames or of various other non-English names bearing some kind of similarity to it.
- The name Morton was established early in North America. George Morton (1585–1624), one of the Pilgrims, was probably born in Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England. He and his son Nathaniel (b. 1613 in Leiden, the Netherlands) settled in Plymouth in 1623.