Boy name origins & meanings
- Anglo-Saxon : City on the moor
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Morton
Family name origins & meanings
- English and Scottish : habitational name from any of the many places called Mor(e)ton, named in Old English as ‘settlement (tūn) by or on a marsh or moor (mōr)’.
- Swedish : variant of Martin.
- French : contracted form of Moreton 2.
- Americanized form of one or more like-sounding Jewish surnames or of various other non-English names bearing some kind of similarity to it.
- The name Morton was established early in North America. George Morton (1585–1624), one of the Pilgrims, was probably born in Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, England. He and his son Nathaniel (b. 1613 in Leiden, the Netherlands) settled in Plymouth in 1623.