Family name origins & meanings
- English : variant of Mace 1.
- French (Picardy) : metonymic occupational name from masse ‘mace’, ‘hammer’.
- French : habitational name from places called Masse (Allier and Cô-d’Or), or La Masse (Eure, Lot, Puy-de-Dôme, Saône-et-Loire).
- French (Massé) : habitational name from a place called Massé in Maine-et-Loire, so named from Gallo-Roman Macciacum (from the personal name Maccius + the locative suffix -acum).
- Dutch : from Middle Dutch masse ‘clog’; ‘cudgel’, perhaps a metonymic occupational name for someone who wielded a club.
- Dutch : possibly a variant of Maas 1, or a patronymic from Mas.