Family name origins & meanings
- Polish (also Marasz), Czech, and Slovak : from a derivative of the personal names Marek or Martin.
- Czech (Mářas) : from the name for a man who was the son or husband of a woman called Máří, Czech form of Maria.
- Croatian : from a pet form of any of several personal name beginning with Mar-, e.g. Marijan, Marin, Marko.
- Polish : topographic name from Polish dialect maras ‘marsh’.
- Greek : nickname from Albanian marrë ‘crazy’, ‘wild’, ‘strong’. This element is also found as part of composite names such as Maragiannis ‘crazy John’.