Meaning and Origin of: Lay
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : One from the meadow farm
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : variant of Lee.
- Scottish : reduced variant of McClay.
- French : habitational name from places so named in Loire, Meurthe-et-Moselle, and Pyrénées-Atlantique.
- German : habitational name from places so named, in the Rhineland near Koblenz and in Bavaria, named with lay(h), a word meaning ‘stone’, ‘rock’, ‘slate’.