Family name origins & meanings
- English : topographic name for a man who lived by an enclosure, from Middle English hay (see Hay 1) + man. The term was in many cases effectively a synonym for Hayward.
- English : nickname for a tall man (see Hay 2).
- English : occupational name for the servant of someone called Hai (see Hay 3), with man in the sense ‘servant’.
- English : occupational name for someone who sold hay.
- Jewish : variant of Heiman.
- Possibly an Americanized spelling of German Hamann or Heumann.