Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Powerful, rich ruler
- English : Rich and powerful ruler
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish and English : from a short form of Richard. Although found in every part of Britain, the form Dick is especially common in Scotland, and it was from there, in the 17th century, that the surname was taken to northern Ireland.
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : nickname from Middle High German dic(ke) ‘thick’, ‘strong’, ‘stout’, or in the case of the Jewish name from modern German dick ‘fat’ or Yiddish dik.
- German : topographic name for someone who lived by a thicket or patch of thick undergrowth, from Middle High German dicke, a special use of dic(ke) ‘thick’.
- North German : from a short form of a Germanic personal name Theodicho, formed with theud ‘people’, ‘race’.