Boy name origins & meanings
- Irish : From the black fortress
- Old English : Wool carder
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Cardon
Family name origins & meanings
- French : from Old Norman French cardon ‘thistle’ (a diminutive of carde, from Latin carduus), hence a topographic name for someone who lived on land overgrown with thistles, an occupational name for someone who carded wool (originally a process carried out with thistles and teasels), or perhaps a nickname for a prickly and unapproachable person.
- French : possibly from a reduced form of the personal name Ricardon, a pet form of Richard.
- English : variant spelling of Carden, cognate with 1.