Girl name origins & meanings
- Irish : Swift
- English : Son of a nobleman
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Bruic ‘descendant of Broc’, i.e. ‘Badger’ (sometimes so translated) or Ó Bric ‘descendant of Breac’, a personal name meaning ‘freckled’.
- English : possibly, as Reaney suggests, a nickname from Old English br̄ce ‘fragile’, ‘worthless’.
- German : topographic name for someone who lived in a swampy wood, brick, breck ‘swamp’, ‘wood’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from Yiddish brik ‘bridge’, probably a topographic name.
- Altered spelling of German Brück (see Bruck).
- In some cases it may be an altered spelling of Slovenian Bric, regional name for someone from the hilly region of western Slovenia called Brda, a plural form ofbrdo ‘rising ground’.