Meaning and Origin of: Bao
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Girl name origins & meanings:
- Chinese : Treasure; precious
Family name origins & meanings:
- Chinese : there are three different surnames that are Romanized in pinyin as Bao. Other Romanizations include Bau, Pao, and Pau.
- Chinese : this character also means ‘abalone’, but the name comes from an old place name. The area of Bao was granted to a chief counselor of the state of Qi during the Spring and Autumn period (722–481 bc). His son took the place name as his surname and was called Bao Shuya. Bao Shuya was famous for his lofty moral character and was skilled at delegating authority, eventually becoming the first ‘Chief King’ of the Spring and Autumn period.
- Chinese : this Chinese character means ‘to wrap’ or ‘package’. The name is derived from the name of Shen Baoxu. Shen Baoxu was a senior official who lived 2500 years ago in the state of Chu. When the state of Chu was attacked by the state of Wu, Shen Baoxu went to the State of Qin to beg for aid. There, he reportedly cried for seven days and nights until the duke of Qin was moved to help rescue the state of Chu.
- Chinese : this character means ‘(violently) sudden’. It comes from the name of Bao Xingong, a duke during the Yin dynasty (1401–1122 bc).