Feeling exhausted? Avoid these things, which will only add to your prenatal fatigue:
- Coffee: If you haven't given up caffeine during your pregnancy, you might think coffee is the elixir of energy. But in fact, it's a big part of your problem. Caffeine might give you a temporary boost, but the drop in energy that follows leaves you far worse off than before.
- Sugar: Sugar works a bit like caffeine. A Snickers bar might give you a quick perk, but the drop in blood sugar that follows is a double whammy to your body's efforts to stay alert. Try to avoid sugary products.
- "Hidden" caffeine: Don't forget the "hidden" sources of caffeine that can throw your body onto the perk-up-fall-down roller coaster. Colas, chocolate, and cocoa are all apt to aggravate your sleepy state.
- Nutrasweet: Before bedtime, avoid foods with the artificial sweetener Nutrasweet (watch those diet sodas!) It is a stimulant that keeps the brain active and will make it even more difficult to sleep soundly.
- Cigarettes and booze: Not only are these things bad for your developing baby , but they also add to your fatigue. Stay away.
Check out this list of pregnancy exhaustion exterminators.