Meaning and Origin of: Mira
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Gaelic : Merry, filled with mirth
- Hebrew : Light
- Latin : Wonder
- Spanish : Behold
- Hebrew : Bitter
- Latin : Extraordinary; to be admired; beautiful
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Galician and Portuguese : probably a habitational name from any of the places in Galicia and Portugal named Mira.
- Catalan : of uncertain origin; possibly from the Arabic personal name Amira, or a derivative of Mir.
- Italian : apparently from the personal name Mira, feminine form of Miro, from Late Latin Mirus and Mira, respectively, from Latin mirus ‘wonderful’, ‘marvellous’.
- Czech and Polish : from a pet form of any of various personal names formed with the element mir ‘peace’, ‘quiet’, ‘esteem’ (see Mir).