In the fifth month, your baby's skeleton is mostly rubbery cartilage that will harden later. She might spend some time sucking her thumb.
Week Number 19
- Parts of the leg have now grown in proportion to the rest of the body.
- You can feel the fetus kick, move its arms, and wiggle its fingers and toes.
Week Number 20
- A skin covering called vernix caseosa forms to protect the baby's skin from the amniotic fluid.
- Delicate eyebrows are forming.
Week Number 21
- Body parts, tissues, and organs continue to mature.
Week Number 22
- The eyelids are very well developed.
- Fingernails are completely developed.
The fifth month is a very busy one. Your body is changing in ways that can no longer be hidden and you're carrying around a baby who's ready to rock and roll. Fears and anxieties might keep you awake at night. But there's good news, too—you're more than halfway there!
|Back to Weeks 15-18||Continue to Weeks 23-26|