After-School Programs and Child Care for Kids with ADHD and LD

Find out where you can get information on after-school programs or childcare providers that specialize in ADHD or LD kids.
I rarely find any information on after-school programs or childcare providers that specialize in ADHD or LD kids. Please help!
What a good question! The best way to get this information is through word of mouth, by talking with other parents who have searched for these services and found good people to work with their kids. Many of the parent advocacy groups for ADHD or LD hold regular meetings for parents where you can get this kind of information. Some local organizations even publish Resource Lists with names of people referred to them by satisfied parents. Try contacting these organizations to see if there are branches in your community:

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CHADD), 1-800-233-4050
International Dyslexia Association (IDA), 1-800-ABCD123
Learning Disabilities Association of America, 1-888-300-6710

The Coordinated Campaign for Learning Disabilities at 1-888-GR8-MIND is a great clearinghouse for information, including referrals to local groups.

For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.