Activity for an individual child
Age group: 18-40 months
Duration of activity: 20 minutes
- 1 or more 20-ounce soda bottles
- Liquid dish detergent, or Cooking oil and food coloring, or
- Light corn syrup or clear shampoo or hair gel and small decorative items (such as sequins, buttons, or foil shapes)
Sensory bottles tend to have a very calming effect on young children. They love to shake them and roll them and watch the contents swirl around.
- Choose whether you would like to make a bubble bottle, wave bottle, or slow-motion bottle.
- For a bubble bottle, fill the bottle 3/4 of the way with water. Add 2 tablespoons dish soap.
- For a wave bottle, fill the bottle 3/4 of the way with water. Add 2 tablespoons cooking oil and a few drops of food coloring.
- For a slow-motion bottle, Fill the bottle with corn syrup, shampoo, or hair gel. Add the small decorative items of your choice.
- Be sure to seal the bottles so that they do not leak and your child does not have access to small parts that he can choke on.