Here are some ways to collect sand with your child, and some home activities to try with it.
Legend says that if you bring home sand from a beach, you'll visit that beach again. Whether that's true, collecting sand is a fun way to remember your visits to the beach and to see how sand differs from beach to beach.Materials
- Small containers (pill bottles, film canisters, and so on)
- Magnifying glass
- The next time you go to a beach, have your child fill a small container with sand (or bring home extra sand in a larger container to use for an arts-and-crafts project).
- Label the container with the name of the beach and the date.
- Help your child take a photo of the beach, too.
- Look at the sand with a magnifying glass. Compare it with other samples in your collection. Notice the different colors, textures, and grain sizes.
- Store the sand collection on a shelf in your child's room. Every time he looks at it, he'll remember all the fun of his visits to the beach!