Skip to main content
My ex-husband and I have been divorced for six years and I have always been the custodial parent. Our sons are now 9 and 13 years old. Both boys have ADHD. My ex-husband is filing for joint custody. Because ADHD children thrive on consistency and structure, I'm not sure joint custody is in my sons' best interest. I've been searching the public library and the Internet and cannot find any information to help with my decision. Any suggestions?
I would suggest that you, your former husband, and both boys consult with a mental health professional who is very familiar with the challenges confronting children with ADHD. Many children with divorced parents do quite well with joint custody. The thing that is important is that both parents have a consistent approach to parenting.

You can contact Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CHADD) at 1-800-233-4050 or go to their website at to find a branch of this organization in your community. Someone there should be able to put you in touch with a professional who can help you make this difficult decision.

Subscribe to Family Education

Your partner in parenting from baby name inspiration to college planning.