This outdoor activity teaches about surface tension. Your child will marvel at the hole in the middle of this bubble.
- Length of wire (large paper clip, thin-wire coat hanger)
- Bubble solution
- Length of thread shorter than wire
- Shape the wire into a circle about two inches in diameter.
- Dip the wire loop into the bubble solution and blow bubbles through it.
- Dip the thread in the bubble solution and roll the ends together between your fingers to form a loop.
- Dip the wire loop into the bubble solution again, but don't blow bubbles this time. Instead, place the thread loop gently on top of the film inside the wire loop.
- Break the film inside the thread loop. This should give you a doughnut-shaped film between the thread loop and the wire loop. Tilt the wire loop from side to side and watch the doughnut change shape.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.